Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Parenting Win - #1

Wow! It's been a long time since I wrote down my thoughts about anything...well, besides what you count on the Facebook. It is time....
 
Once upon a time, I had a baby.  He has since grown up a little and is now a 7-year-old in the 2nd grade.  I've said a few times that 7 isn't my favorite age.  When my darling little prince turned 7, his sass and sarcasm was turned WAY up!  On one hand, I'm proud.  After all, there is no lack of sarcasm in our house so he only "...learned it by watching you!" I can't be mad about that...he's doing a good job! On the other hand, I don't really like that he is fighting fire with fire. He's too young for this! Where did my little sweetie pie go? I know where he went...to elementary school! Bah!
 
Other children are bad news! Sure they help build character, make your child learn how to deal with little jerks, invite them to their birthday parties, and encourage taking risks but they also help develop that annoying little habit of lying to their parents and talking back.  We all learned dirty little tricks from our friends. As a parent, you can only hope that you have instilled enough of the good to overcome the trickery of peers.
 
Cue the parenting win....remember how I said my little prince was getting extra sassy?  That is still true but I got reminded of his giant heart and compassionate spirit.  I am lucky that my boy hasn't outgrown me yet.  He still tells me he loves me.  Still hugs and kisses me in front of his friends.  I ask him frequently if he will still love me when he's 13.  He promises me yes.  I got this darling, heartwarming, amazing little letter yesterday with a cinnamon apple treat...
 
He is the greatest little man I could have ever hoped for! Everyday I thank my lucky stars he is mine. I think about him so often it is ridiculous.  I wish that I had more time with him but alas working fulltime is a must.
 
The thing I wish most for my boy is this: that he grows up healthy, happy, and achieves every goal he sets out to achieve.  I suppose that is more than one wish. And to all his future girlfriends - I will not approve of you...at least not at first and it will take a long time for you to prove yourself to me.  Yep, I'm gonna be THAT mom.

C.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment