Friday, April 5, 2013

Post Dessert "Dessert"

It has been a while since I made an entry and today was certainly one for the "books". After lunch with the girls which concluded with a trip to Maggie Moo's for ice cream, we were not yet ready to go back to the office...plus we still had 15 minutes on the clock. We rounded the building to visit the patio where I knew a couple of my buddies were enjoying their lunch.

J happens to be Jewish and he had been threatening Sunny and I with gefilte fish.  "I want to see you guys try this!" What is it?  Well, in short, it is minced up fishes - meaning more than one variety - mushed up in a ball of sorts and stored in jelly. Mmmmm...sounds good already.  Earlier today, J plunked down the jar in front of me and said, "Have lunch with me and Sunny..." Oooo, while I'd love to, I have plans. Shucks.  But like I said, we had some time and I knew where those two were.  After arriving on scene, I asked S if she tried it..."Yes..." Nuts. Now I gotta.

Fish balls. Grey, slimy, fish balls.
I'm a food smeller.  If I don't know what it is, I smell it first to make my decision on eating it.  Mistake.  This "food" smelled atrocious. Sunny said it smelled like canned cat food.  Agreed. But I upped the anty and said that it smelled like cat food...in a nasty, stinky, pond. Wretched. Now eat it.  Yeah. Right.

Nothing good comes from eating non-descript, off-colored items. I've seen countless episodes of "Bizarre Foods". I know how this usually goes down...or up.

As the caption suggests, if my son was present, he would be laughing his ass off! The smell alone was making me gag.  I attempted to turn this little food challenge down based on the fact that I had a delicious taste on my tongue of cake batter ice cream and it would be a shame to ruin that. I should also mention that I had a bit of a smell barrier because of the stupid, rotten cold I have.  Angie didn't stick too close by - she was clear across the patio!

OMG. I actually put this horrific mess in my mouth. I chewed. Once.  Then I was just trying not to it touch my tongue. I must have looked pretty desperate because Sunny gave me permission to spit it out. Thank Baby Jesus!
I had nothing to drink. And after the many dry heaves, I had nothing to change the taste in my mouth...or so I thought. I had some little gems in my handbag from a party I will share about soon (once I work up the gumption) that I decided was the right thing to use. 
Jacob, thank you for sharing a cultural dish with me.  Please never do that again.

Mandy, thank you for helping me capture this one film.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment