Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Mediocre Valentines

It's my own fault.  I'm a procrastinator. I have big ideas but it put them off until the 11:59th hour and then it is too late.  I've been like this as long as I can remember.  I used to say that I just like working under pressure.  That is a damn lie. I'm just not a get-it-done-ahead-of-time sort of gal.

Valentine's Day is tomorrow and that means children all across the country will be getting silly little pieces of paper with cheesy lines like, "I CHOO CHOO CHOOSE you!" I remember the days of going through my Valentines cards and carefully assigning certain messages to certain people because God forbid someone you think is icky get the wrong idea from your terribly written VDay card.

Making sure everyone in the class gets one is the right and fair thing to do...one for everyone or none at all.  That is how it was when I was a tenderfoot and it is nice to know that things haven't changed dramatically in that regard. We used to make construction paper envelope taped to the front of our desk to house our many valentines. The ones with a piece of candy were the best!!

Now that it is my turn, it is time to up the anty.  Last year, I took hours to make robots. Very cute. Very timely. Sent with candy. This year, since I waited so long, I couldn't get as crafty as I would have liked.  So I did what I could with what was left at the store...
...goody bags.  Cupid bags, stampers, pencils, pencil toppers, ribbon, and candy.  The beauty of this? No lame messages!  No "I <3 U!". No "Wild thing you make my heart sing!" nonsense.  Just stuff and sugar.  That's all 6 and 7 year olds want anyway.  They couldn't give a rip about a kitten with big eyes saying "XOXO". (stepping on soapbox)  And really I don't think that is appropriate for little children.  (off soapbox)

All the bags are the same except the girls got a little bit of ribbon in theirs.  I'm sure they can use it for something...girls find uses for sparkly things.
My apologies to my son for being a sub par class mom-o this Vday...hopefully his prezzie will make up for it. :)

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment