Monday, February 4, 2013

Thanks, Darlin!

The scene: Brothers BBQ
The characters: Me, Sloan, and two employees
The situation: Sloan and I go in to pick-up dinner to take home. There is a gentleman in front of us and I am perusing the menu really just deciding on the side dish.  I ask Sloan what he prefers - this or that - and he goes with 'this'. It's our turn:

Employee 1 (E1): Hello Darlin!
Me: Hi.
E1: What can I get you, Darlin?
Me: (getting a bit irritated) I would like 'blah blah blah' with 'blah blah'.
E1: Is this for here or to go, Darlin?
Me: (more irritated because last time I checked a 6yo and I don't look like we can put away a pound of meat and the excessive use of Darlin) To go, please.
E1: What's your name, Darlin?
Me: Chantel
E1: Ok, Darlin. That'll be up in a few minutes.

SCRATCH MY EYES OUT! STOP CALLING ME DARLIN! I'd also like to add that she was at least 14 years my junior. Wearing hipster frames, skinny jeans, and a nose ring.  Nowhere in her normal vocabulary does "darlin" live. I get that it is a BBQ joint and perhaps she is trying to make me feel more comfortable by upping the country-anty.  She's doing it all wrong.

I, personally, cannot stand to be called names of endearment by strangers that are younger than me. If you are trying to be nice, either use my name that I just gave you or stick to ma'am. Stop calling me darlin, sweetheart, sugar, honey, or anything else you think is cute. You don't know me. I'm not your sweetheart. The only time you can get away with that crap is if you are a 65+ elderly person - then I like it.  Otherwise, those words are reserved for people I know and like.

I maintained my composure because I had my son with me and I'm not one to make a scene or get into a confrontation. But even he noticed the ridiculousness, "Why did she keep calling you Darlin?" "I don't know, buddy. I just don't know."

C.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she really was from the south. I have a friend from the south and a co-worker from the south that both call me darlin. One is older than me and one is younger than me. But that many times would be annoying.

    ReplyDelete