Sunday, February 17, 2013

Santa Fe Art District

Denver is culturally rich. You can find just about any kind of cuisine, art, music, and if you look hard enough, pastime. I have found myself enjoying some swell antique shopping on Broadway and on another day hitting the ballpark for some Colorado Rockies baseball. The two aren't terribly far from one another. Today, I was introduced to the Santa Fe Art District.  Jennifer brought us here to do our annual family photos.  This year we went urban and I couldn't be happier that we did.  We started off here...

There was this groovy little art gallery which happened to house some of the biggest, fattest, friendliest pack of bulldogs I've ever seen!  These were some cute little dudes.  And they flocked to Sloan. We weren't planning to shoot inside - but outside rather under a cool building sign but who can resist some grunty bulldogs that like to greet passersby? This was just a short distraction. Back to work...

We made our way down a back alley way that had tons of very cool commissioned graffiti art.  Mr. Modeltime, aka Sloan, took advantage of the camera time and came up with some cool spots of his own that he wanted to pose at. I'm so thankful that Jen and Lindy were willing to entertain the kid and indulge his need to "make love to the camera."
Along the way I snapped a few pictures of my own...some that I thought really spoke to the beauty of urbanism. This is a picture of a "film drop" in an old photography studio.  Now I guess it would be a disc drop or a memory card drop...does film even exist anymore? Sorry, Kodak, technology really jacked you.
Then I saw these...it caught my eye because these are usually on the side or backs of buildings. The age of this district really shows.

And more...
Free big marble anyone??
It was actually a marble block for free but I thought it was funnier this way...beware of editing! :) We visited some stoops, a bench, some modern metal art, and ended our time at another fantastic graffiti piece. Sloan really rocked it! It was a bit windy so I'm really unsure how any of the ones I'm in will look...hair. The boys are going to look mighty handsome because, well, they don't have to worry about hair placement.
C.

2 comments:

  1. Since when do you like to go to the shops on Broadway? We did go there to find Sloans trunk, but you do not like to do that sort of thing. Are you some how turning into your mother? Heaven forbid that.

    ReplyDelete