Sunday, March 24, 2013

What Happened to Being Nice?

Here in Broomfield, Colorado we got several inches of fresh, heavy, wet snow. I didn't clear it off the sidewalk yesterday because it was mega windy and all would have just blown back in my face. So today was the day.

V had already done some of it - paths to the cars. It was my turn to do the rest. After sizing up the situation, I notice that our neighbors to the left and right had their sidewalks done.  No surprise...they BOTH have snow blowers. So I take a moment, with my plastic shovel in hand, and curse my neighbors on the inside. Would it have killed either of them to help a fellow neighbor by being nice and run their little snow removal machine a few extra feet to get our sidewalk?? I would think not.  It wasn't that cold today (I shoveled in shorts and winter coat) so hmmm. I was more than moderately annoyed. 

Granted, they are not required to handle our walk. We are perfectly capable and happy to do it. So it may seem that my rant is a bit contradictory. My beef is really how unwilling others are to lend a helping hand. I can tell you with certainty if we ever spring for a snow blower, we'll handle the block.  Why? Because it doesn't seem like that much effort to run a machine up and down the pavement. If you are going to bother to get the thing out, you may as well make it worth your time. At least that is my opinion.

At the end of the day, I got it taken care of and went a step further to clear out the gutters so that the melt had a free path down the road.  But guess what I didn't do?  I didn't clear out the gutters in front of my neighbors.  Why? Because moving ice with a mere shovel is zero fun...plus I was mad at them.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment