Saturday, January 26, 2013

Co-pilot...without a license.

All families are different.  From the members to the dynamic within.  About 2 years ago, my family was changed.  Prior to March 2011, it had 5 members that called our old brick house home - Me, Verne, Sloan, Daisy (Dog #1) and Lily (Dog #2).  Daisy had been in my life since she was a puppy at 10 weeks old.  This was one spunky beagle.  She was beautiful, listened only sometimes, howled almost all the time, but was always there to greet us when we came home.  She fell ill with a sizable mass in her abdomen.  At this point, she was 13.  The poor girl needed to be put down.  It was the best thing for her. This was in March 2011.

With the death of a loved one, furry or not, it effects everyone in the family different.  We all cried, but were able to move on. The one that took her absence the hardest was Lily.  The poor girl was quite mopey for what seemed like forever.  She missed her sister. So in May, we decided to take a trip to the shelter to find a new family member. 

Verne and I had discussed what sort of dog we wanted - I really wanted a boxer.  We even discussed the name on our way.  I have a thing with naming my girls after flowers. We got Lily from Denver Dumb Friend League so we wanted to try again.

We got there and all the dogs we wanted to meet were already spoken for.  I was really bummed out.  Then we were given a list of potential companions that were not on the showroom floor just yet.  We saw a few possibilities on there and asked to see them.  We meet #1.  It just didn't feel right.  Then we met #2. Hmm...she is quite wonderful! We discuss and give it the go.  This little girl will become our 5th wheel. 

Magnolia is a black and white cocker spaniel.  She took to us right away and is such a well-behaved little pup.  She asserted herself with Lily but I think Lily didn't mind a bit.  She was used to being an Omega.

Maggie is my girl.  She and I just click. I never thought I would feel so much love for an animal in all my life.  I loved Daisy for sure but this was different.  Maggie loves me back. She is the kind of dog that wants to be wherever the people are all the time. She loves walks. She loves car rides.  In fact, I cannot manage to drive without her co-piloting in my lap.
Thinking about her reminded me of something my husband posted on Facebook the other day about dogs.  They are born to love.  They know how and they do it well...without being taught.  If we lived our lived like a pupper, it would look something like this:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF EVERY DAY!

And Daisy? We have her ashes in our bedroom in a box covered in 'Amore'. We still miss her a lot.  Xoxo, Hound Dog. And another sister has been added. Dahlia.  That is a whole 'nother entry all together.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment