Thursday, January 17, 2013

Stupid Brain - #1

My brains fails me often - especially when it comes time to remember something. I cannot begin to explain how or why I remember some useless, unimportant things and forget other more useful, important things. I can't remember to sit down with my husband to make a budget, but I have no problem remembering what my last purchase from DSW was. No problem remembering to grab a soda for my drive, but I can't seem to remember to grab my computer so that I can actually work once I get there.  I'm totally absentminded.  I'm sorry...It is certainly a short-coming and proof that I'm no more perfect that anyone else. I'm regular.

This morning I made a promise to bring in cupcakes...because I forgot yesterday.  Totally spaced it out! DOH!  Some folks were very sad...like I had hurt-their-family sad! Ain't nobody got time for that so I had to make amends. Since I'm not a good sleeper (quite terrible in fact), I was dragging ass today but had to muscle through.  Looking through the ingredients I had on hand, I came up with my plan.  I'll make salted-caramel - caramel cake with salted-caramel buttercream.

I go through my regular routine when making these yum-o cakes and I was visited by a short person that looks a heck of a lot like my husband, "You woke me up, Mom." Oops.  "Sorry, buddy! You can lay on the couch if you want." He didn't.  He decided to draw instead. One never knows when inspiration will strike but I digress.

So my boy and I are chatting it up in the 6 o'clock hour of the day and have a nice time. Cupcakes are done. I let those cool while we eat come cereal and get started on the frosting. Frosting is done and applied, orange sanding sugar goes on, and it is finished with a caramel drizzle and some salt sprinkles.



Fast forward to 9am.  I'm making a lovely yellow and green "FREE" sign.  I usually sell these little babies for $3 - it is for the biz. But not today. No sir. 

"Chantel, why are these free today?"
me: "They aren't perfect. Just enjoy!"
"......."
me: "Seriously, they taste great but something is missing so I don't feel right about charging. My treat!"
"......"
me: "Eat it."
"Did you poison it??"
me: "Really."

You see, my brain failed me today.  I've made this recipe and variations therein 100 times. But how in the world did I forget THIS ingredient?! My co-workers are just peaches so they all said that the cuppies tasted great...such nice little liars.

Vanilla.  I'll get you next time.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment