Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It's On Me!

Before I get into it, I have to call special attention to my friend, Lori, who yelled at me for not having my entry done yet! Apparently, she reads during her lunch.  Little did I know that sweet, southern, SASSAFRAS Lori needed reading material! LOL This one is for you, my Nashville Sweet Tea!

Yesterday was sorta crummy. Things just kept going wrong and there was really no redemption to be had. Universe - 1: Chantel - 0. But today? Today would be different! 

To begin with, it is my husband's birthday.  He is a spry 44 and has a lot to show for it! The kiddo and I get up a little early and set out his gifts and cards and get ready for our day.  We are out of the door with time to spare.  Good start! 

It snowed last night so I was anticipating a loooooong commute.  You'd think in Denver people would get plenty of practice driving in the stuff but every storm is the like first one ever since the beginning of time. It is a cluster eff and you can count on all the morons making you late to your engagements. As part of my planning, I scoot through McD's to get some breakfast.  If being in gridlock isn't bad enough, being there with a growling stomach is the pits. While I am waiting to get to window #1, I make the snap decision to "pay it forward" and pay for the car behind me.  I've never done that before!  It felt GREAT!

Truth be told, I'm glad it wasn't a minivan full of football players.  I lucked out and it was just a single order of breakfast.  I didn't ask before I paid since I thought that would be tacky.  "How much?  Oh $30? Well, never mind then." While it would have been nice to be a fly in her car when she was told she was paid for (but not like a fancy prostitute), I can only hope I helped make her Tuesday better.
 
Small, random acts of kindness are the glue that holds us together as a society I think. There is so much ick in the world and people bicker and fight all the time but do you really ever stop to think of that single, small, nice thing someone did for you?  I can say that I have a difficult time stopping and remembering those moments.  It often feels like people are just out to get us, but really that isn't true.  There is good.  There are reasons to move on. There are always reasons to love. And never forget to forgive. Stop and smell the roses they say...in this case, the McMuffin.

I think I'll do this again sometime....pay for an unsuspecting stranger.  Why?  Because I can, I don't need a reason, and it just may be the single, kind thing in their day...and I can't afford to dole out caviar. (Resolution #10 - done...for now.)

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment