Sunday, January 20, 2013

Pinterest Project #1 - Garbage Bread

"Mom, what are we having for dinner?"
"Garbage bread!"
"What?! I don't want to eat GARBAGE!"

It does have a silly name.  And quite unappetizing at that. I can't blame the kid for judging the book by the title. I had never even heard of "garbage bread" until seeing it on Pinterest.  This particular variety, Buffalo Chicken Garbage Bread, just looked good!  So, I pinned it. (Savory Foods)

A little while back V and I were trying to get out of our food rut.  We are in this place often - right around potato soup time. I showed him this meal and he was game! However, I just didn't get around to making it for the regular reasons - read excuses. But tonight would be different. Mainly because he took out some chicken to thaw...what a guy!

As my dear, close friend Christina would tell you, I'm not much for following a recipe - even when we bake.  As she once put it, I just use the force to know when something is right. HAHA! That is a little bit of an exaggeration but I just don't like to follow recipes - it slows me down! And my chubby behind doesn't like to wait to eat!

Below are the ingredients I used but I cannot begin to tell you the quantity - I just used "what looked right."
  • Chicken breast strips (that is what we had on hand)
  • Olive oil
  • Frank's Red Hot sauce
  • Pizza dough (store bought - Pillsbury's **it has a Box Top! Score!**)
  • Flour
  • Ranch dressing
  • Mozzarella cheese - shredded
  • Cheddar cheese - shredded
  • Salt
Preheat oven to 400.

First, I cooked the chicken in a little bit of olive oil.  I seasoned it with a smidge of salt while it was cooking. Once it was done, I cut it up in cubes.
I returned the chicken to the pan and added a little Frank's.  I mixed up the chicken with the sauce and heated throughout..removed the chicken from the heat. Next, I floured my counter top and rolled out the dough to a rectangle.  I made it big enough to fit all the yum ingredients edge to edge. Pizza dough likes to shrink so it will take a little patience to get it to spread.
Then, I poured a generous amount of ranch dressing and spread it around, and added a splash of Frank's. I wasn't too heavy-handed with the hot sauce since my son still has a sensitive pallet. Then I layered the mozzarella and cheddar cheese (I used more mo cheese - think pizza), added the chicken, and drizzled with a little more ranch.  The extra ranch was a safety net for the spice on the tiny boy tongue.
Looking good so far!  Now for the rolling trick - I started on the end making sure nothing fell out the sides.  Once I was almost at the other side, I pulled the end over the rolled part and pinched the outer edges closed. I wanted to make sure nothing oozed out!

I lined a cookie sheet with foil (because I'm lazy and don't like to wash pans) and gently placed the bread roll in the center.  I placed it on center rack to bake.  I don't recall how long - maybe 25 minutes? Tick tock! Finally it is time to take the thing out of the oven and eat!  Verdict - family approved!!  It wasn't too spicy for the mini and the husband just added more hot sauce to match his pallet. 
My one note - next time I will cover it with foil as it bakes so that the top doesn't get so brown.

I don't think this looks or tastes anything like garbage! We added some salad and called it a dinner! Cheers!

C.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment