Sunday, January 27, 2013

It's a Date!

It is not easy for me to keep a secret.  Especially when it comes to presents.  This is part of the reason it is a bad idea for me to shop early...I can't wait to give! I have been better at the waiting game but it hasn't really been any easier.
 
My husband's birthday is coming up and I wanted to surprise him. After nearly 9 years of marriage, and about 24 birthdays between the two of us, the perfect gift is hard to come by.  After kicking around a couple of ideas, I decided what I wanted to do for him and called my mom hoping she could keep the kiddo overnight. She could! Ok, game on.
 
Last night was the big date.  V caught on to something but thought I was planning a surprise party for him.  Um...no.  Sorry, dear.  It's just a date...sans son. Restaurant of choice: Texas de Brazil.

This place is great!  To really dumb it down, it is a very unique buffet experience. All kinds are welcome - I saw men in sport coats, ladies in heels, sneakers, sweatshirts, and a guy wearing his rodeo bib from the stockshow. There is a giant, less that ordinary salad bar, some hot side dishes, lobster bisque, and the piece de resistance - endless skewered meat!

Our server, Aldo, was amazing.  He was on-point the whole time and made us feel very welcome.  He even took our picture. We ordered our drinks - waters and a glass of Riesling for me (shut it! I like it anytime!!) - and get the green light for the salad bar. 

After we get our appetites primed, it is time to turn the coasters to "green". Men with the meat skewers come around and give you meat as long as you like. There are all kinds of versions of beef, chicken, lamb, and sausage. Plate is full - turn to "red".
 
As we are eating, I take notice of our company.  At my 9 o'clock, we have a table of 3 complete with an off duty Gladiator. This guy was huge even by V's standards.  At 12, another table of three which happens to have a toddler.  These folks didn't bother to take their daughter's hat or coat off the whole time.  But wait, their coats were on the whole time too.  Oooookkkk.  And finally, at 2 o'clock, there was a gal with a dress so short that her who-haa was practically hanging out.  They prayed before their meal. 

We finish our fill of food and really needed to be rolled out of the place. But now is not the time to stop!  If you are going to bother to go out for date night, you should bother to get dessert.  So, we did. We have a look at the dessert tray (you know, the plastic food that looks like the real thing) and choose the "Brazilian cheesecake".  
This looked too pretty to eat!  I accept the challenge! Now that we are completely uncomfortable, it is time to pay the bill and get the heck out of Dodge!  I had planned for us to head up to Central City for some light gambling, but we opted to stay down. 
 
It was a great night!  We got home, let the wolf pack out (read: cuddly, non-threatening, pretty girls), said goodnight to the boy, yada yada yada, slept in, went to pick him up. :)
 
Cheers!
C.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment