Friday, January 18, 2013

Mind Games

We realize from a very young age we have the ability to manipulate our parents. It is not a taught skill but rather a natural occurrence in our species -human nature. If I cry, Mom will do *this*.  If I laugh, Dad will do *this*.  If I cry at Mom and laugh at Dad as the same time, I will confuse the hell out of them and they might shake me...better not do that!

Manipulation and strategy is a fancy way of talking about mind games. We all manipulate other people one way or another whether we like to admit it or not.  Manipulation has a negative connotation to it but it isn't automatically so.  For instance, you are nice to someone. The result of that is that they will likely be nice back...you have manipulated their emotions to get a response you desire in return. Anyone in a sales career must be a master manipulator if s/he intends on being successful.  Now, manipulation and strategy go hand in hand.  You must approach a situation with a strategy on how you will manipulate the opponent into the result you desire. This can all be very complicated but it is really quite simple.  Use babies as your test subject next time you want to have a fun experiment.

Being a strategic player in life takes a lot of practice.  This whole notion came to me last night while my son - who is 6 - and I were playing a rousing game of Blokus. This is a game of strategy in which you try to get as many of your pieces on the board within the set rules.  This was fun for me to experience with him because he thought he had me so many times! "HA! I blocked you!" What he doesn't quite realize yet is that he was really kind of hosing himself for future moves.  In games of strategy, you often have to think more than one move ahead.

I will never forget when I learned to play chess.  I went with Erica to a chess tournament in which her brother was playing in.  Just for clarity purposes, this family is brilliant.  Quite possibly the most intelligent group of 4 I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I had never even seen a chess board prior but Monte, bless his patient heart, taught me to play. I was 13ish. Of course, it took a while for me to even remember the names of the pieces and the directions they are allowed to move but I eventually got it! That is a game that takes years and years and lots of practice to have a chance against someone that has even one more practice game on you.  I should really play it more.

I will continue to teach my son how to play this game a little better and a little smarter so that one day he might beat me.  I did not let him win. He needs to learn that other valuable life lesson of being a gracious loser. My hope is that he can take these experiences from his bedroom floor into school and later into life so that he can form solid strategies of approach and manipulate to the goal. In the meantime, I mustn't give in to his cuteness. He's already nailed that one.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment