Sunday, January 6, 2013

I.Dub Potato Soup

I had a different plan for today's blog entry but it soon changed as I was preparing dinner. I'll keep my other idea in my back pocket.:)

A few nights ago the long asked question, especially in our house, of "What do you want for dinner?" and the predictable answer of "I don't know...what do you want?" came up. Stalemate. What now?  We are in a food rut. It comes around every so often...Okay, a lotta so often. Either there isn't time to cook or we don't want to or the kid has his heart set on something else - usually breakfast for dinner (or brinner as I've heard). So in order to avoid something we are sick of eating, I visit that one website I like to live vicariously through - Pinterest.

I have boards that are supposed to help my life! I have grand ideas when I pin something - like OMG! I'm going to be the best _____ ever!!!! How silly of me. I have to actually DO the pins in order to be _____. Hmph.  I wanted it to act by osmosis. Damn it.

Okay, Chantel, it's go time! I address my board "Savory Foods" and look for some quick meals.  I sent a couple to V for approval and felt pretty good about it! We were both excited about something new - psyched! But guess what? None of the meals I sent made it past email. Shoot! I had big hopes!  But, some of the ingredients were purchased for a potato dish. Alright, IronWing, you've got a start on something else.

I decide I want to make some potato soup.  Never done it but man, does it sound good! Growing up, I didn't enjoy eating potato soup.  My mom wasn't the best cook (Sorry, Mom!) and her potato soup was rather bland and pretty watery.  Based on that, I never had the desire to try my hand at it.  I'm a pretty much self taught cook/baker - I have learned much from the Food Network and experimenting in the kitchen. Luckily, I haven't killed my family yet with my creations. I looked around at several recipes but nothing was 'perfect' so I did what I do and made my own version.  I whip it up and it is DELICIOUS!  My husband, the one that doesn't go for soup, actually liked it enough to get seconds! Score one for the Gipper!

It is just too good not to share so I'm gonna! Below my recipe with my own directions so I hope they make sense!

What you need:
  • Chicken stock (25 oz box)
  • 2 c. peeled, diced potatoes - whatever variety you like
  • 3 tbls butter
  • 1 small onion (i used yellow) - diced
  • 3 tbls all-purpose flour
  • 3 c. milk (mine was whole)
  • 1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 c. diced ham
  • Pepper to taste
First, add your diced potatoes to the chicken stock. Boil until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes, but retain 1 cup of liquid. Remove potatoes from pot and set aside. In same pot, add butter and onions and saute. Once butter is melted and the onions are translucent, add flour.  Combine thoroughly to make roux. Cook roux for approximately 2-3 minutes.  It will look like a paste with onions in it. Slowly add reserved stock liquid and whisk with roux. Once all clumps are gone, add milk, cheese, ham, and pepper.  Stir together.  Add potatoes back to the mixture. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until you are sick of waiting and just want to eat!

Note - I did not add any additional salt.  I used original recipe chicken stock (which has salt) and ham as a lot of salt as well.  Cheese is salty so it didn't need additional salt.  If you prefer more, just add some to your pot to taste! The roux thickens the soup. The husband thought I used heavy cream.

Warning! Your family will want this again!! :) I sure do wish I had some green onions to make the picture look prettier...



C. 

No comments:

Post a Comment