Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Girl Problems - #2

"Are you okay?"
".....yes?"
"Are you sure you're okay?"
"Yes?  I'm fine...why??"
"Because you look like you were crying. Your eyes are red (signals to under eyes) right here."
"Oh...well, I don't have my face on yet. I guess I better do that...(before I scare anyone else)..."

While I have been doing a much better job of adhering to Resolution #7, I haven't been perfect. Turns out today my timing flaw could have helped a friend!

Girl Problem #2 - makeup. For whatever reason, our species just HAS to be opposite of the rest of the animal kingdom.  Our boys don't have to dress up and look pretty.  Ladies, on the other hand, have a certain expectation of being considered presentable.  One includes having on makeup. Whether it is a little or a lot, most of us get looked at sideways, or are given medicine because we look ill, if we don't have it on. And the fact of the matter is that most of us feel naked without it.  And no matter how dressed up we are, it isn't quite complete without our powder, blush, shadow, mascara, or lip gloss.

My girl, Sunny, met with her networking group this morning (as she does weekly) and got all gussied up!  She is an effortless beauty and looks great no matter what but today I could certainly commiserate with her predicament. She forgot to put on her makeup.  How the?! So there she is with colleagues with a bare face.  At the time, she was none the wiser.  But afterward, after noticing how soft her lashes felt, realized what had gone awry. In reflection about the morning, she realized she got some sideways glances. Now she knew why. She was going to ask if she could use my stuff (and duh! Of course she can!) but forgot.


I once went to an interview with only half my eye makeup on...meaning I forgot to do the left eye. I didn't know what I had, or really hadn't, done until after the interview was over.  I felt like a complete buffoon! I didn't get the job...couldn't have been my lack of attention to detail.   

There are tutorials on how to do makeup the "right" way - how to make it look 'natural', how to do a smokey eye, how to make your eyes look bigger, how to exaggerate it for stage and photo, how to look like a clown...

Frankly, I am still winging it with the hopes that I don't look horrifying or worse - sickly! And I won't pretend I don't get a little judgy when I hear of ladies putting on fresh makeup to go to the gym and workout...if you are really there to workout, it's gonna come off anyway. If a plan a day in which I don't want to mess with the stuff and we happen to be leaving the house, I ask permission from the husband if it is ok....after all, he will be the one associated with the tired, lazy looking one.

C.

No comments:

Post a Comment